Something to think about

Quotes: I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. (Maya Angelou)..The destiny of every human being is decided by what goes on inside his skull when confronted by what goes on outside his skull. (Eric Berne).. Work while you work, play while you play - this is a basic rule of repressive self-discipline. (Theodor W. Adorno)

Tuesday 9 June 2015

27 Crowned heads

One of the high-spots of the social calendar is open day at Hislop Grange, which has a long tradition stretching back into the mists of time when there was a really historical building on the site before it crumbled and fell down to be replaced by a mock Baroque manor. Local people make their way up the long pebbled drive up to the mansion, which is a dubious edifice in a poor state of repair, and the residence of people who ought to be Lord and Lady something or other, only their names are Mr and Mrs Hislop.
Mama says the Hislops are nouveau riche, have only bought and renamed the mansion instead of inheriting it, and are therefore frauds and not landed gentry at all. But I can’t see much evidence of wealth in the peeling paint on the woodwork and dilapidated lace on the windows. Landed gentry have never lived there. The current building was actually built by someone who made his fortune in mining and subsequently lost it all again.
Mama says you have either to be royal or rich in life, and if you are neither you should keep your head down and play by the rules.
The Hislops are indeed playing by the rules, since they were rich enough to rescue Hislop Grange from the indignity of falling into wrack and ruin like its predecessor, though they ran out of cash before they could restore the outside to its former glory. I think Mrs Hislop is splendid and at least as imposing as royalty. She is tall and buxom, wears long, flowing floral chiffon creations and very long dangling earrings, high heels and loads of makeup. She talks in a very loud la-di-da voice and there are rumours that she was once on the stage. Mr Hislop is roughly half her size and so nondescript that no one notices him all afternoon, sitting in his garden chair on the edge of the proceedings, smoking a pipe and reading “Town and Country” from back to front and back again.
The garden party is the always a central attraction of Hislop’s annual open day, though there are a few other events, such as a ploughing competition and a jam judging event, to make the farmers and their wives feel their day out has been worthwhile. Tea, cucumber sandwiches and fairy cakes, donated mostly by the people attending the function who nevertheless pay for the honour of eating them, are partaken of on the front lawn, which according to Mama is in a better state of repair than the carpets in the mansion. Mrs Hislop, assisted by the woman who ‘does’ for her, sets out the cutlery and garden party jam pots, lump sugar in little bowls with pincers so you don’t have to manhandle them, and milk from the cow they keep for the purpose. The Women’s Institute lend their capacious teapots and there is even coffee in a family heirloom pot, since the Women’s Institute can’t run to one, coffee not being as popular as tea and therefore only served as watered down granules or diluted brown stuff out of a bottle on which is written ‘chicory essence’. Mrs Hislop has connections to every conceivable organisation, so there are plenty of volunteers for speechmaking, which makes the afternoon memorable if not historic.
When Mama and I get to Hislop Grange Mama is greeted by Mrs Hislop in a very offhand way, in fact hardly at all, which puts Mama’s back up immediately. “Well, we know you darling,” Mrs Hislop gushes in my direction, studiously ignoring Mama. “We were at the golf club banquet last week, weren’t we?”
I hadn’t forgotten. Aunt Jane had tried to introduce me as her niece and Mrs Hislop had chipped in with “Your daughter? What a pretty child.” Aunt Jane must have overheard, because she was about to present the trophies and had to remember who had won what, and I didn’t argue with the assumption, but bathed in the extra attention awarded to me and later became rather talkative because someone plied me with an alcoholic drink, which Mama would certainly not have allowed. Aunt Jane often turned a blind eye to things like that. She was really quite easy-going where I was concerned.
Being called ‘darling’ poses me with a genuine linguistic problem, since I am never called by anything but my name, my mono-syllabic name, and nothing but my name. But I am also trying to remember if I have told any untruths about Mama. Sometimes untruths are necessary to protect the innocent, and Mama is certainly one of those.
“And this must be your aunt, isn’t it, darling?” continues Mrs Hislop, whose grammar is rather rudimentary, despite the posh accent. She looks down her nose at Mama, who is standing there with pursed lips, sniffing the way she does when she is quite annoyed.
“I happen to be her mother. Her auntie’s over there,” retorts Mama, making auntie with a ‘u’ sound like ant without one and pointing vaguely in the direction of Aunt Jane, who has already reached the platform and is arranging her ermine stole around her neck to keep off any draughts.
Mrs Hislop looks at Mama sharply.
“Oh. I thought.....”
“Well, think again,” says Mama in a really sharp little voice. Then she marches off to the jam tent, leaving me standing there with Mrs Hislop towering over me.
“Don’t you owe me an explanation, young lady?” she says.
I feel terrible. Aunt Jane is so much more my idea of what a mother should be like that I have deliberately let told one or two people think she is mine, without thinking about the consequences. I have really hurt Mama, which was not my intention. But it’s so nice to have people fussing around you because they think you are something special. And now I have caused embarrassment both to Mama and Mrs Hislop. I must make it all right again.
“I’m sorry,” I say.
“Umpf!” says Mrs Hislop. “Well, don’t do it again. Ladies don’t tell lies and never forget where they came from.”
I make my escape and go to look for Mama.
“She got the wrong end of the stick,” I try to explain.
“Oh, really,” replies Mama drily. “Well, don’t do it again. Lies have a habit of getting found out.”
I push my arm through hers and we go round the exhibits in silence. There’s one very good thing about Mama. She doesn’t bear grudges.
Well, not often.
Which is why she does not try to put me off Aunt Jane. Instead she now even goes along to an event now and again, wearing a new outfit bought for the occasion and lipstick. When she makes an effort, Mama is prettier than Aunt Jane. Mrs Hislop might be doing some good, after all.
So successful are my aunt and uncle at their jobs as mayoress and mayor that the unthinkable happens. They are re-elected. It has never happened before, and is on a par with a second term in the White House. And what is more, their second ‘term of office’ will also embrace the impending coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, which means extra funds for festive occasions, decorations, sprucing up of public buildings, and so on.
And extra jaunts for me.
My parents have had a TV for a long time, because Dada, being an invalid, really needs something to distract him from the melancholy of his illness. Now they are being manufactured and sold at breakneck speed, and it is already becoming fashionable to talk about the programmes you have seen.
At 7.45 p.m. the evening programme kicks off with music and live announcements of what is in store for us all. Then we watch the news, the weather and sport except on Sundays. After that there may be a play or some music. About two hours later everything is over for the day. Of course, most of it is after my bedtime, especially as I have to go to bed at the same time as my little brother, because he refuses to go on his own. When he is asleep, I am often fetched to watch the music programme. That is how I get the idea of becoming an opera singer. The programme ‘Music for You’ includes guest appearances by a German opera singer, whom I would like to emulate. That’s the first time I hear that Germany is no longer the enemy, has a lot of trees, and Beethoven and a few other musical greats are natives thereof, so that a visit there must be put on my list of where to go. But I don’t tell anyone, just in case they stop fetching me to look and get what Mama calls funny ideas.
With the coronation preparations well in hand, even poorer people are starting to buy TV sets, though arrangements are being made for most people to watch the event  on large screens in suitable establishments.
On the great day, we all sit in front of our tiny screen for many hours, while miniature figures go through the many tedious rites in black and white. We cheer and wave flags as though we were there in person.
On that day, I am, as are most of my countrymen, as patriotic as I will ever be. I am convinced that being a loyal subject is part of my personal heritage, and I am enchanted by the sheer magic of the splendid occasion.
In commemoration, all school children have been given days off school and mugs with the royal pair’s pictures and a crown on them have been doles out. You can buy souvenirs of all kinds with crowns and royalty on them, which take eternal pride of place in glass cabinets and on shelves throughout the United Kingdom.
What is more, I am allowed to cut my unruly hair. The neighbour has given me a perm, and I am transformed overnight into a princess. Even before the curls are combed, I cannot resist taking a turn on my bicycle. I hurl down the main street, the wind flurrying through my new hair, thinking to myself how beautiful I am. I don’t remember ever having that feeling before or since.
All kinds of festivities are held throughout that coronation summer. As niece of the mayoress I attend more than my fair share of them. You may think this would convince Mama that she had been wrong in her judgment, but no. She is just as convinced as ever that everyone is out of his tiny mind and hasn’t noticed how sham the whole spectacle is. It is unbelievable that Mama could utter such negative thoughts. Did she really believe what she was saying? What can you do with such a pig-headed mother?

These are formative years. My aunt is my confidante. I tell her things I could never tell Mama. She advises me and even comforts me. I am sure that she was meant to be Mama in a different world. My physical birth is just an accident of fate. But how am I to tell the world about this fatal biological error? And is this error not something many of us have in common? On the other hand, do I want to tell? Mama has good qualities too, and she is an intuitive artist. I cannot deny that she has been an inspiration to me, even though unintentionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment