Something to think about

Quotes: I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. (Maya Angelou)..The destiny of every human being is decided by what goes on inside his skull when confronted by what goes on outside his skull. (Eric Berne).. Work while you work, play while you play - this is a basic rule of repressive self-discipline. (Theodor W. Adorno)

Monday 15 June 2015

30 Pastures new

The gradual deterioration of Dada's health makes it necessary for him to move to a healthier climate, when he can breathe less smog and more ozone.
I know it's unavoidable, but I am devastated that I will have to say goodbye to all my friends, especially Hilary. At 12 going on 13 I cannot imagine life without Hilary, who is one of the few people in my life with whom I can laugh. I am so upset that I don't even say goodbye to her.
Saying goodbye has always been a dreadful experience because it is so often associated with Dada being carried off to hospital in an ambulance and us not knowing if we will ever have him back home again. Mama’s secrecy about Dada’s state of health means constant speculation, and my own dread of hearing the worst makes it impossible for me to ask any questions. Nobody seems to talk in our family, unless it cannot be avoided, so I am growing up within walls of silence from which there seem to be no escape.
Despite our new house only being a few miles down the coast, it never occurs to me to try to keep in touch with Hilary and my other class-mates. I haven’t even exchanged addresses with anyone. It is as though I want to shield myself from the pain of separation by forgetting that part of my life altogether. The only one I would still recognize today is Hilary. My next meeting with her is to be about 15 years later and very fleetingly under wildly differing circumstances.
But moving has its compensations, too. We now live a short bus-ride away from the seaside resort we used to visit on bank holidays when Dada was well enough to drive. It has a long sandy beach and in summer a vaudeville company and other theatrical attractions entertain the thousands of summer visitors who come year for year to enjoy the bracing climate, which for most of them is their only chance to get away from the poky industrial estates on which they spend the rest of their lives.
I very soon learn to enjoy the amenities, frequenting the hot-dog stands with their piles of fried onions and tubes of mustard. The bingo halls and souvenir shops rake in a fair amount of my pocket-money during the first weeks after moving. The summer season is drawing to an close. Life seems to be one long holiday until the novelty wears off at the end of the autumn school break that has been chosen for my school swap. Fortunately for me, my new  grammar school is one of the best in the region.
Our new home town is a little more select than the main holiday resort a few miles to the west. It has high sand-dunes and fewer amusement arcades, and our house isn’t on the coast, but nestles against the hills and is at the end of a long cul-de-sac. We don’t have to mix with holiday-makers as there are no attractions to bring them near our house, so we have all the advantages of living where the air is clean and stimulating, without setting eyes on the visitors.
We live in the most beautiful house I have ever lived in and I think I am happier there than anywhere else before. It has a wonderful garden and the most gorgeous apple tree. It is October, and when I sit on the garden swing and haul myself as high as possible, I can grab at the crisp green fruit in passing. I can't believe that apples can taste so good. I sit on that swing for hours biting into the apples and catching a glimpse of the sea in the distance every time I reach the highest point of my pendulum.
I have to get the bus to go to school, so on the first day, in my smart new uniform with its dark blue skirt, white shirt and royal blue blazer, I queue at the bus stop and make friends with a girl who turns out to be in my class. Her name is Sally and she has seven brothers and sisters, all younger than her. I resolve to become her friend, but she tells me that she doesn’t have much time after school, because she takes care of the little ones while her mother goes out to work. I don’t know any working mothers, and the idea that Mama might go out of the house for a few hours every day is completely strange to me. I don’t know whether to be envious or sorry.
The school is newer, smarter and bigger than my previous one. It has a beautiful library still housed in the original Victorian building, and is run on the public school principle of houses. I am put into the yellow house, and from then on practise a sort of partisanship usually only to be found in the Houses of Parliament or at boarding schools. All competitions, whether sport, music, art, or academic, are registered according to these houses, and if you win a prize, it does credit not only to you, but also to your house. This idea fires my imagination. Any home-sickness is swept aside by new-found competitive zeal.
At the old school, my school work had been sliding gradually into ignominy for the past year or so, mainly because I had been avoiding as much homework as I can, and instead concentrated more on my piano-playing, since I had been told that it will be useful when I am a singer. It is a shock to my system when I realize that I will have to catch up on a whole year's Latin, if I am to not to end up in academic oblivion.
I am assigned a dreary, brown-haired old stick of a female who is to give me extra lessons every single day after school in addition to the all the Latin lessons everyone is getting anyway, until I catch up with the rest, who seem to me to be pretty fluent already. If learning Latin is tedious, then learning extra Latin is devastating, especially as she seems more interested in telling me about her bicycle tours round and round Lake Windermere than Latin grammar. 
The only other teacher on this level of incompetence is the Geography master, a choleric old codger, obviously marking time till his retirement, who makes us copy out page after page of our text book at each lesson. His main preoccupation seems to be our hand-writing, and I am not on good terms with him because I am left-handed, and according to his code of ethics, left-handers have to be re-educated, if necessary through thrashing. I resist his attempts to make a right-hander out of me, and I must confess that I am learning everything I will ever need to know about sheep-farming in Australia by writing out the text painstakingly and repeatedly until it is flawless.

Remarkably, because I have never lifted a finger to help at home (nor been asked to do so), I bask in the generous praise of the domestic science teacher, a pert woman who wears lipstick and scent to school and lets me sew skirts and blouses on her best sewing machine instead of the usual red-and-white check apron which is the term task, but which I understood to be my homework for the first week and brought back to the second lesson ready to wear. My bread and butter pudding is judged the best in the class. My first Christmas exams at the new school put me, to my utter amazement, at the top of the class. Perhaps this isn't such a good school, after all, if I can beat all the others to the post after only six weeks in their system!

No comments:

Post a Comment